NRE2: The 4 Themes
Phone: (418) 724-1986 ext. 1642
Adresse: Département des Sciences Humaines
Université du Québec a Rimouski
300, Allée des Ursulines
Rimouski, QC G5L 3A1
Brief Description of Research Activities Undertaken
1) Formation and consolidation of the research team, with Bruno JEAN and
Steve PLANTE (UQAR), Omer CHOUINARD (U.Moncton), Patrice LEBLANC (UQAT),
Derek WILKINSON (Laurentian), Peter APEDAILE (U. Alberta) and the
participation of Bill REIMER.
2) Organisation of a First Seminar on Governance in February 2003, and
planning of a Second Seminar for December 2004.
3) Identification of two sites (Néguac and Cap-à-l’Aigle) for in-depth case
studies on local governance and discussions for two more sites to study in
2004, Taschereau, Séguin or, from the West, Ferintosh or Hussar.
4) Several telephone conference-based work sessions and one formal meeting
at Carleton in the Gaspé region between the the researchers involved in the
Néguac and Cap-à-l’Aigle case studies in May.
5) First studies completed in Néguac and Cap-à-l’Aigle.
6) Preparation of a theoretical and methodological document on governance
(first draft completed - ongoing project).
7) Preparation of a paper on governance for the CRRF Conference in Gatineau
Number and Level of Students Who Worked on the Project
• Undergraduate students - 1
• Master’s students - 2
• PhD students - 3
(Chantale Barnaby, Sophie-Anne Morin, Esther Turcotte, Annie
Besse, Luc Bisson, Augustin Épenda, Tchabagnan Aeyva, Magella Simard)
Progress in terms of the
Two case studies (field work) were completed and two preliminary reports
were produced, as set
down in the Milestones Report.
Development of a sampling frame (AYEVA report).
Field work to come, but explorations ongoing in the MRC des Basques ( A.
Hiring of a doctoral candidate for the study on governance (Luc Bisson).
Possible studies on public/private partnerships and the role of SMEs (D.
discussed with Bill.
Report by Augustin Épenda (doctoral thesis) on the measurement of
intangible development factors
in community capacity building.
Preliminary report by Majella Simard on policies for local development.
Literature review on governance and on community capacity building. (A. Besse, ongoing)
Other thematic studies to be determined.