Photo Gallery of NRE Sites:
Galerie photographique des
sites de la NÉR:
Site 1 - Winterton,
Local Website / Site Internet
Located on the north-eastern Island of
Newfoundland, 39% of Winterton's industry is found in fishing. The population (667) has
decreased by 11% over the past few years. The labour force participation rate is 50%, the
unemployment rate is 32%, and 7% of the community is below Statistics Canada's Low Income
Major events & stories:
The area around Winterton was most likely the
site of Beothuk settlement long before Europeans first visited. The first recorded
European visit to the area was John Guy in 1612.
The first census was taken in 1675 and
recorded 3 planters, 40 servants and 8 boats. These settlers were West Country English
fishermen from Dorset and Devon. Many surnames of the area originate from migration from
this area in the late 17th and 18th centuries.
Winterton was originally called Scilly Cove,
after the Scilly Isles off Southwestern England.
Negative impressions of the area because of
the sound of this name ("silly" cove) prompted the name to be changed to
Winterton in 1912, after Sir James Winter, a former Prime Minister of Newfoundland.
The area was the site of several French raids
in the late 17th century. Following the signing of the Treaty of Utrecht, hostilities
ceased and settlement increased. In the early part of the 20th century the population
reached over 1100 people. Although the harbour is neither deep nor large enough for
schooners, the abundant fishing in the surrounding area and the area's reputation for boat
building made it popular for settlement.
In 1952 Winterton received resettlement from
the north side of Trinity Bay.
The Town was incorporated in 1964.
In 1966 water and sewage were installed.
1997 was Town of Winterton "Come Home
Year". It encouraged families and descendants to return to the area for celebrations.